This is a time for respite, pause, and setting intentions. I love the start of a new cycle, feeling full of hope for a new month ahead.
- I usually jot down a few intentions during menstruation. What are some goals or aspirations for the upcoming cycle? Either professionally or personally. They are usually nothing too ambitious, but small, achievable goals.
- I discern and consider my family planning hopes. This is important to do with my spouse. How do we feel this cycle?
- I spend a little TLC time with my heating pad and give myself an early bedtime.
Waxing / Full Moon
Estrogen is rising which in turn gives me more energy, more excitement, and more creativity. I feel most productive and can foster some of my best work during this time.
- This is when I usually get acupuncture, for my ovulatory migraines. I find during my sessions, I brainstorm some of my most inspired ideas.
- The estrogen gives me a kick of energy so I'm better able to handle longer days and more social outings. I embrace this and take advantage of the opportunity to spend time connecting with friends.
- This is the time it's extra important for me to make strong fertility observations. I try to be diligent about making cervical fluid observations and taking my temperature every morning.
- If we're trying to avoid pregnancy, we have to get creative about how we connect. Romantic stay in date nights, mixing a fancy cocktail, or watching a movie with a big bowl of popcorn.
- I glance at those goals I jotted down a week or 2 ago. Am I working on them? Where do I stand?
This progesterone dominant phase feels so different for me hormonally and emotionally. I am more idle and reflective. My energy turns from outward to inward.
- I revisit those thoughts I jotted down at the beginning of my cycle. Did I achieve them? Did they change course as the month developed?
- I look out for a second wind of estrogen half way through my luteal phase. I use that time to tie up loose ends and finish projects.
- I don't have to be as stringent about my fertility observations.
- My energy dwindles as this phase passes. I make sure to balance out social outings with down time.
- I may want to binge on fried food and sweets, but I make an extra effort to eat more fresh veggies than ever. I know the nutrients will carry me through the next menstruation.
It's a chronically busy time of year. Don't forget to check in with your body and listen to it!